This is a section of the former “Brittania Coffee Palace” (built 1897) on the corner of Francis and William streets in Northbridge.
The Brittania was constructed to cater for the temperance movement – “coffee palaces” were alternative to licensed premises providing accomodation and facilities for tea-totalling travellers and families. Located close to the city it was one of many hotels that sprang up to cater for the gold rush hopefulls that made their way to Perth. Up to 150 boarders could be accommodated… many young men who signed up for the first world war listed the Brittania as their home address.
It is currently cafe and retail on the ground floor and a backpackers on the upper floors….probably not tea-total!